Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Access Visit

Shaundretta and Andrea at MGM Access lab
I really enjoyed my ACCESS lab visit! I went to MGM in Semmes and met with Mr. Rogers Rose who gave me a tour of the lab and also walked me around to many more teacher who are certified to teach using the ACCESS lab.The lab itself was so high tech and I was jealous that it was not in when I was in high school.
ACCESS is a program that students at one school can take a course from another school all over the state of Alabama (Mr. Rogers say all over the world). While in the lab we looked over the $80,000- $85,000 equipment (Yes I had to ask).
I asked Mr. Roger if a student was in a lecture through IVC then how would that student ask the teacher in another location a question in mid lecture? So Mr. Rogers can place a call using the system, so he called Murphy. When the call is place it instantly turns on the cameras at Murphy and the microphones also. The student can then ask a question.
Mr. Roger also said for every student that is enrolled he is paid $150.00 per child and for IVC courses he is paid $300.00 a child. He says that if you wanted to get certified you would probably have to teach some off the wall courses for example he teacher AP Psychology. He also mentioned that the student can learn well if they have a great facilitator, which is the person in the other classes to make sure that the kids are not goofing off.

No comments: